The Student Success Program
The student success program focuses on the development of a detailed student success plan to assist students to take responsibility for their school work, activities and time.
This approach is tailored individually and the outcomes are based on a student’s own needs and learning requirements. This detailed student success plan includes recommendations and focuses on the following 10 key areas for the student to follow:
- goal setting
- mindset & motivation
- personal space
- study space
- locker & backpack organisation
- paper & electronic management of school work and materials
- planning/calendar – routines
- time management & tracking
- homework strategies
- study skills – understanding the learning/study cycle, note taking, revision and preparing for tests and exams.
Naturally no two students are the same and the student success plan will identify the key focus points for each student – some may need to focus on all of the above areas whilst others may only need to focus on a few.
This program is designed for students from Year 7-12 (though I have worked with primary school aged students too) and is suitable for all students including those with special needs and learning difficulties such as Executive Function, ADHD, Asperger’s and Autism. These students in particular often need to learn new skills/develop systems & routines and transform them into habits so they can execute them themselves in time.
- equipping students with their own tool kit and strategies they can use to assist them at school and in life
- developing a list of goals and habits allowing students to have a clear understanding of what they want to change to improve their academic success
- being more organised and motivated with better systems and processes in place to maximise their success
- being more effective with their time – therefore being able to achieve their homework and study deadlines with decreased stress & anxiety
- having organised systems to support their everyday learning and organisation
- learning how to plan and prioritise effectively
- a space that works for them to maximise comfort and success
- learning to deal with procrastination and distractions
- develop better study routines
- being more organised with effective notes and study/revision strategies
- interacting with teachers in an effective and successful way as needed – increased self-advocacy skills
- successfully prepare for tests and exams, instead of cramming at the last minute
- teach students all the necessary skills so they can do them independently, as well as take control and be in charge of their own learning
- establishing a balance between their academic lives and extra curricular activities.
What your child can expect from this program:
- more likely to succeed at school and in life by planning and taking action
- develop independent problem-solving skills
- be happier and more confident
- greater motivation and being more in control of their time
- experience less stress, anxiety and feel less overwhelmed.
When students feel successful, they usually put in more effort, try harder, enjoy what they do more and succeed at school.
What are the steps involved to get started?
Step 2 – arrange the initial student organising session (this can be in person or online via zoom) with the student and parent/s to discuss the student’s goals and objectives and what is important to them. We have developed an extensive questionnaire that we step through in order to get a clear picture of what the current challenges are whilst discussing both strengths and weaknesses of the student.
Following this session, you will be provided with a detailed student success plan which will identify the key areas of focus and recommendations for the student moving forward.
Step 3 – discuss and review the student success plan. Depending upon the key focus points outlined in the plan, a tailored approach for the student success program will be discussed and agreed upon moving forward.
Step 4 – schedule sessions where we begin working with the student 1:1 to address all the key areas of focus as agreed. The aim of these student organising sessions is to work with the student on establishing new skills and habits. It is also about a student becoming empowered to become a more strategic learner and reach their own potential.
Student Success Program Options
Our experience tells us that one or two sessions are usually not enough to see a change in habits. The focus of this program is on sustained long-term change and building success. All sessions are an opportunity for the student to share success, concerns and struggles as well as learn strategies to assist them in a supportive and non-judgemental environment.
- Student success plan
This is the first step that all students must go through before any programs begin.
- 8 week program
These weekly, fortnightly, or more spaced out sessions (over the school year), allow the student to stay focused on their goals and achieve the change/s required to meet their goals.
- Full term program
This operates very similar to the 8 week plan above with the only difference being that this program sees a session scheduled every week for a full school term (usually between 10-12 weeks). Usually the more regular the sessions and the longer we work together a student is more likely to see significant changes to their habits.
- Shorter term program
This program (tailored to the needs of each student and varies in length or total number of sessions) follows an agreed plan and approach for those students who already have many of the required time management, organisation and study skills though need assistance to further enhance these skills to see them achieve their goals.
- One off sessions
As noted before one off sessions with students very rarely see any changes to the way they organise or manage themselves. However, having said that these sessions can still be discussed as an option. Usually when one off sessions occur they are with past students and used to reinforce particular skills or strategies or to work with a student to address a specific issue, exam preparation or planning.
In my experience, junior students usually need more regular sessions where as senior students usually need an average of 4-6 to teach them the necessary skills, tools and strategies.
How do sessions work?
All sessions run for 30 minutes or 1 hour and are usually conducted virtually so students can be located anywhere around the country or overseas. In our experience, virtual sessions these days are as good as face to face sessions due to the technology available with the use of google docs, spreadsheets and screen sharing. The sessions are very interactive and students are encouraged to be involved.
A student session typically includes:
- a catch up/check in – discussion around how the student is going at school and what they have been up to at both school and in life.
- review of habits and how they are tracking – from the outset a student determines the habits they wish to change and at each session we track these using a habits graph and have a discussion on how they are following through or not and what is or isn’t working for them.
- discussion around developing or strengthening skills – we discuss what skills, strategies or tools they need to learn or build upon to assist them at that particular point in time.
- agree on action items – at the end of each session we finish with a review of action items the student needs to commit to between now and the next session.
Parents can access all documents at any time to see how their child is going and are encouraged to provide ongoing support and encouragement.
Don’t just take our word for it
You are encouraged to hear from others as to their experience of the Student Success Program.
“In September 2018 it was great to hear from one of my Year 11 students that she achieved 84% on a recent Maths SAC and 68% on a Biology SAC. This was from a student who didn’t know how to study at the start of the year, was having to resit her Biology SAC’s all the time and not doing very well with Maths either. It is rewarding to see the 1:1 work in the Student Success Program we have been doing is paying off and puts her in good stead for the remainder of Year 11 and moving into Year 12. WELL DONE!”
Are you ready to take the next step?
If you & your child are ready to take the next step in getting more organised and maximising their potential, please get in touch to learn how we can support you and your child with this program: get in touch or call 0409 967 166.
For a copy of the flyer on this program please click on this image.